Week of Prayer 2019
"DARE TO DREAM"
A global prayer chain
20-27 October is a special Week of Prayer for SAT-7, during which thousands of people around the globe will join together to pray for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA).
Our Week of Prayer theme this year is “Dare to Dream”. It is a theme of hope and courage, of perseverance and of faith. You will see that each day has a theme, outlining a specific issue that we can pray for together.
We know that God is doing wonderful things in the lives of the people in the MENA, and that He will continue to change lives. However, people can easily lose hope and become discouraged in their circumstances. This week we want to encourage you to pray for the people of the MENA, that despite their circumstances they will continue to “Dare to Dream”.
Above: SAT-7 producer and presenter Marianne Awaraji Daou sings a special song for the Week of Prayer
Sunday 20 October
Dare to dream for freedom
Numerous Christians in the MENA risk prison and death on a daily basis, yet they continue to persevere and remain strong in their faith, knowing that they have true freedom in Christ. However, many in the MENA have yet to experience this freedom.
- Pray that MENA Christians will continue to stand firm in Jesus Christ and that they will experience His freedom.
- Pray that SAT-7 programmes will show viewers that they can find freedom from guilt and sin in Jesus Christ.
Monday 21 October
Dare to dream for education
Twenty-two million children in the MENA region are currently in danger of missing out on education because of violence, instability and conflict.
SAT-7 educational programmes are accessible to displaced and refugee children through satellite TV and online. As well as providing children with basic education, SAT-7 shares the message that God loves them.
- Pray for refugee and displaced children in the MENA who are unable to attend school. Pray that they will have access to SAT-7’s educational programmes.
- Pray that our educational programmes will equip children and inspire young leaders to rebuild the MENA.
Tuesday 22 October
Dare to dream for peace
War and conflict in the MENA have forced millions of people to leave their beloved cities and countries, while others are left behind and struggle within the ruins. Many have lost family and friends; children have been orphaned and parents have lost their sons and daughters.
- Pray that God will keep those affected by conflict safe, and that He will reunite separated families.
- Pray that SAT-7 programmes offering support and medical advice will reach those in need and help them through their struggles.
- Pray that in the midst of these difficult circumstances, people will find hope in God and experience peace in Him.
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness."
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus."
Wednesday 23 October
Dare to dream for equality
Women in the MENA have fewer rights than men and are often considered second-class citizens. Similarly, various religious minorities, including Christians and especially new believers, face enormous obstacles in their daily lives. Societal pressure against these groups can result in family rejection, loss of jobs, physical violence and even death.
- Pray that women across the MENA will discover their equal value and their voice through SAT-7 programmes and have the boldness to be a force for change.
- Pray for religious equality across the MENA region, and pray for a change in societal attitudes towards Christians.
- Pray that God will strengthen Christians who are under pressure because of their faith.
Thursday 24 October
Dare to dream for unity
Different traditions, views and disputes have contributed to division in the Church. In a region where Christians are persecuted because of their faith, it is important for Christians of the MENA to put aside differences and support one another.
• Pray for the churches in the MENA, that they will stand united in the face of opposition.
• Pray that Christians will set aside their differences to help each other through difficulties, pain and suffering and rejoice together in God’s love.
"'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'"
Friday 25 October
Dare to dream for family
There is a false and unrealistic ideal of marriage ingrained in the culture of the MENA. To live up to this perfect ideal, couples are forced to hide behind masks, pretending that everything is fine when it is not, unable to confront the problems destroying their relationships. As a result, divorce rates and depression among men and women in the MENA are increasing.
- Pray for families facing difficult and painful experiences. Pray that God will be a source of strength, comfort, and healing to them.
- Pray that through SAT-7’s parenting shows, MENA mothers and fathers will be equipped to raise their children with godly values.
- Pray that SAT-7's relationship programmes will help families in the MENA deal with their problems in healthy and constructive ways.
Saturday 26 October
Dare to dream for restoration
Myriam (right) was forced to leave Qaraqosh, her hometown, when ISIS invaded Iraq in 2014. In her interview with SAT-7 at the time, Myriam had prayed to return home. Five years later, God has miraculously answered her prayer.
Millions of people across the MENA still find themselves displaced and alone, dreaming of the restoration of their homes and lives.
- Pray that people will return to their homes safely, and have the energy, courage, and supplies to rebuild their lives.
- Pray that SAT-7 programmes will continue to be a source of comfort and strength to people in the MENA, just as they were for Myriam.
Sunday 27 October
Dare to dream for the Church
It can be very difficult for new believers to find a church in the MENA, where less than 4% of the population is Christian. Many believers are completely alone in their faith.
• Pray for churches and church leaders in the MENA, that they will be a source of godly teaching.
• Pray for isolated believers in the MENA, that they will find support and encouragement through SAT-7 programmes and know that they are a part of the global Christian family.
• Pray that Christians in the MENA will be a shining example of God’s love to their family, friends, neighbours and communities.